I am the terror that flaps in the night, I am the chill that runs up your spine, I am Darkwing...errr, I mean Fireheart1001!!!!
Hey everyone, I'm back.
Seeing as how it's been a while since I updated my journal I decided to start with a review. I already mentioned in the past that a new Dragon Ball series has started - Dragon Ball Super, which will feature retellings/retcons of the two latest movies "Battle of Gods" and "Resurrection F" as well as a new arc that I will not talk about here.
After 14 episodes the "Battle of Gods" arc has ended, and I believe it's time to talk about it.
After waking up from his slumber, Beerus, the God of Destruction, seeks out the Super Saiyan God. Elder Kai is terrified that Beerus might destroy the universe in his quest. Mr. Satan gives Goku money for saving the world. Bulma holds a birthday party on a big luxury ship. SSJ3 Goku gets his ass handed to him by Beerus on King Kai's planet. He wants to go to the Earth to save it from Beerus but King Kai talks him out of it. Beerus beats up everyone at the party until Goku arrives and becomes Super Saiyan God. Their battle starts causing the universe to crumble. Goku loses and Beerus tries to blow up the Earth but falls asleep, and Whis takes him back to his temple. On their way back, Beerus wakes up and is implied to have faked the sleep in order to spare the Earth as well as that he hadn't used his full power against Goku. The Earth is saved and Mr. Satan takes credit for it again.
As you can see, the main plot is almost identical to BoG with some changes added. I'm here to talk about those changes.
1) By far the most noticeable change in DBS compared to BoG is Beerus. In this series, he is MUCH more of a jerkass. On the one hand, this makes it less satisfying that Goku would befriend him instead of kill him, but at the same time is what you would expect from a guy with the title of "God of Destruction" since when BoG originally came out, there were complaints that Beerus didn't look or act menacing enough. The easiest way to see how different he is to look at the slap he delivered to Bulma. In the movie it was more like a reflex. In the anime, he clearly enjoyed it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ougV…
Another big change about Beerus is his power. I have no idea what the writers of this series were smoking, but they created a monster! DBS Beerus is RIDICULOUS! His abilities include, but are not limited to:
- sealing ability
- faster than light travel
- multi-form technique
- energy nullification
- paralyzing stare.
2) Remember when I said in my BoG review that the movie didn't bring us any new feats and that it was one of its flaws? Hohohoooo boy, did that just change here. Both SSJG Goku and Beerus (and presumably Whis) gained a massive power-up in this series, with Goku and Beerus threatening to destroy the universe with their clashes:www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxncbe…
Some people say it's over the top, others that it will create problems with future battles. I agree with both of these statements, but at the same time I am happy to see this. It's SO refreshing to see something new in Dragon Ball fights.
3) Character interactions in this series are absolutely beautiful (most of the time). We have Goten and Trunks trying to get a present for Videl, Chaotzu playing with Krillin's daughter, Yamcha training with Piccolo at Bulma's party, Vegeta going on a family trip with Bulma and Trunks etc. It's really nice to see all these characters interact.
4) Yamcha is one of the strongest Z-Fighters as he's the only one to land a hit on Beerus without getting hit back.
Yes, it wasn't during a fight, but was a friendly pat on the back, but still: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKwd0…
Good thing Krillin saves him by bringing food which distracts Beerus. XD
5) Piccolo is also one of the strongest Z-Fighters as he managed to grab and pull Whis without Whis's permission.
Again, not during a fight but during a conversation. Unlike the Yamcha example, this scene is NOT played for comedy, and I was genuinely worried for Piccolo's life, considering we rarely see Whis get angry. Fortunately Vegeta intervenes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAuYZ…
6) The Super Saiyan God ritual is way more epic in DBS, with golden clouds covering the sky, the weather changing from sunny, to rain, hail, lightning, snow and the sun rising and setting twice within a matter of seconds.
7) NO MORE BINGO DANCE!!!
Sadly, the Bingo dance didn't make it into DBS. Instead, we have chef Vegeta cooking octopus to please Beerus. Not as funny, but still pretty entertaining: www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1mOsL…
Also, the blonde lady you see with Bulma and Chichi is Bulma's mother. She changed her hair style and can FINALLY KEEP HER EYES OPEN!
8) STOP.GIVING.SCREENTIME.TO.MR.SATAN!!!!! When this series started, Mr. Satan didn't get a lot of screentime, and in the screentime he did get he was well written - giving money to Goku and apologizing to Beerus when Buu eats the pudding. But then he got more screentime and now, AGAIN, he is going to take the credit for saving the universe. Why do the writers like this character so much!?
9) STOP.GIVING.SCREENTIME.TO.THE.PILAF.GANG!!!!!! They were useless in BoG and they were even more useless here. All they do is waste time.
10) Vegeta vs Beerus fight was longer, with Vegeta putting more effort into it and even firing a Galick Gun from close range. He actually manages to get Beerus to use 10% of his power......which is actually pretty stupid since later Beerus reveals just how much more impressive feats wise he is when he and Goku threaten the universe. Although, Vegeta did perform worse against Beerus in this version, so you can make the argument that 10% Beerus is way too high for enraged Vegeta, and Beerus simply used that much power out of precaution.
11) Goku vs Beerus fight was much longer and more badass in this series, with the Earth and the universe constantly threatened. Goku really does everything he can against Beerus, using every last drop of his power. There is also a very nice emotional scene when Goku as he depowers and Beerus is about to defeat him. Beerus approaches Goku and is about to flick him away using his fingers, like he did when they fought on king Kai's planet. Beerus says something along the lines of "Our fight started with this move. I will give you a worthy end." with the exhausted Goku grabbing Beerus's arm not wanting to get flicked away again.
12) Videl's pregnancy revelation is nowhere near as beautiful and emotional in this series as it was in BoG. -_- Here, the writers apparently thought it would be funny to have Mr. Satan knock Gohan away in excitement when rushing to Videl. Seriously, all it does is make me hate Mr. Satan more.
13) And here we are, by far the biggest complaint DBS has received - terrible animation. When this series started the animation was decent. Then the animation became weaker in episode 4 and downright bad in episode 5. After that, the animation became good again, with the occasional "couple of seconds" scene with weaker animation per episode, you know, like pretty much any anime. However, a lot of people were disappointed with the animation of episode 5 and started complaining about it. There are even people who still spread rumors about the terrible animation, just to prevent other people from getting into the series. Needless to say, you shouldn't believe this. It's obvious the animators had some problems with episodes 4 and 5, but those days are over now. The animation is quite enjoyable.
Well, there you go, my review for the "Battle of Gods" arc of Dragon Ball Super. I understand that rewatching the same story might be troublesome for some people, but if you're curious and want to check it out, by all means do so. It has its flaws, but the good stuff far outweighs the bad. I definitely recommend it.
Clubs I'm in: